top of page
Art. MAHI TOI.
Tips for tamariki:
- Māui is not big like he's often shown - he's little!
- He's cheeky: the ultimate trickster hero!
- He is said to have one eye like an eel and one like pounamu. Perhaps this means one is blue, and the other green.
- He is left-handed.
- He's an explorer and a shapeshifter who can turn into animals such as birds.
- He's great at games, juggling and fishing. His feats include slowing the Sun, and fishing up the North Island: Te Ika a Māui.
Want more background on Māui? Subscribers: listen to Hī Hā's exciting retellings of Māui myths that move: